Wednesday, February 23, 2022

PSYCHO THRILLER RESEARCH

 PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER

From what I've read, seen and heard psychological thrillers are truly just made to leave an impression. For me, every psycho thriller has left me thinking or I've wanted to watch it again. I think it's such a unique genre because of the way that it plays with the human mind and the perception of the world. It distorts the storyteller's perspective at time and constantly makes you doubt whether their reality is a fantasy.

A great example and one of my top 5 movies is Black Swan. It is said for the main character to have developed signs of schizophrenia but is truly a twist on Swan Lake, the ballet. By playing with her sense of identity and creating suspense throughout the whole film, I was instantly in love with the film. Aronosfky did well by creating a parallel with one character who sees her worst parts in another actress.

I like the breakdown of the two different sides of someone. I'm just not sure how to relate that to my character or story. Since it's all very undefined I need to make sure to incorporate this in some kind of way.
Elements of Psychological Thrillers:
An unreliable narrator, like I mentioned before, is what makes these movies so elaborate. As a viewer, you always want to believe that the main character or storyteller is sane, but by losing credibility the plot is much more complex.

Plot Twists and unexpected scenes are key for the shock factor during viewing. Even though not all films have to be completely shocking, it helps to develop tensions and make it more interesting overall. 

Taboo concepts: There's often a lot of substance abuse, mental health concerns, infidelity, paranoia and crime involved in thrillers to reflect the most underground parts of society

LINKS FOR INSPIRATION:

https://www.looper.com/142377/the-ending-of-escape-room-explained/

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-psychological-thriller#:~:text=Psychological%20thrillers%20often%20incorporate%20elements,of%20reality%2C%20and%20unreliable%20narrators.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/86003045/Conventions-of-the-Psychological-Thriller-Genre-AND-Synopsis-Analysis





No comments:

Post a Comment

LINK TO CCR

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HrvAJIh8ZTiATiTyT5lFTCc4i4LG_SyI/view?usp=drivesdk